Ready-made


there is a nice top in my closet that had no discernible flaw, but i was avoiding it. i had a choice. toss it or tweak it. most things i readily part with, not wanting to risk ruining something that another person might well get some use out of, but occasionally i weigh the odds and find there is a good chance i could find some satisfaction with a minor adjustment. i lopped off the sleeves and now i'm much more pleased with it. i do most definitely feel that i reduced the item, somewhat, in doing this, as they were distinctive sleeves, but they were also the item's achilles' heel - it was a light top yet the restrictive sleeves made the piece undesirable in hot temperatures. the light color and construction/details made the top ill-suited to cooler months. now it is properly a summer top and i am pleased.

when you buy some thing, if it disappoints in fit or function, are you willing to tweak it? do you ever buy something knowing it will require an intervention?

8 comments:

Candid Cool said...

It depends on how much I really love it. I bought trousers that I had to have taken in in order to keep them high waisted since they ran a tad bag and they kept slipping down. Also I have small shoulders so whenever I buy a blazer I always factor in altering it.

And I just love taking in clothes to a tailor, it becomes more unique to me.

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Midnight :) Admission: I'm a fanatic for removing sleeves, changing necklines and even altering shoe embellishments (I just got a fabulous pair of suede Bruno Magli peeptoes with the most huge bows that looks 100 X better trimmed down) One more favorite alteration: altering collars because I love a mandarin look.

Like Candid Cool, I love, love, love going to the tailor and am constantly dreaming of ways to change what I already own to make it even more perfect. I tend to look at purchases with the same eye so yeah, I buy with the intent to alter.

editor said...

hmmm, i think i will keep this all in mind. on the one hand, i'm okay about experimenting on things i already own, but i generally buy expecting acceptable perfection (meaning, maybe not perfect, but close enough) - i think i should consider the possibilities of items more often. the possibilities of what i could do to improve. thanks candid cool and midnight!

martha said...

i used to have a tailor who i trusted, but i moved. until i find another, i wouldn't dare buy a piece counting on having to get it tailored.

Lily Plume said...

I like to make new clothes with old ones (like making a top with an old unfitted dress). But I don't think I will buy a piece if I can't wear it as it is.

I just discorverd the "all thing" (34 pieces, and the blogs here) and I just love the whole idea of the "perfectly small wardrobe". It's really inspiring.

[sorry for bad english]

editor said...

martha - yes, finding a tailor would definitely give me more confidence. the things i tweak now i just do myself, so they are minimal.

editor said...

lily plume - hi! that's great - i'm so glad you like my various projects. it's really only fun for me if i think it's of interest to someone else too. thank you for posting.

Stylefinder (Editor) said...

If it's something I have and havent' worn for a while, and the "tweak" it needs isn't too complicated - then yes, I'll make it into a DIY project. if I paid a lot of money for it, then probably not.

I often buy cheap cheap thrifted or vintage clothes with the intention of tweaking them into something really cool.