Wanderlust


i’m taking a trip later this week (i’ll be gone for 2 weeks, but will hopefully update the blog nearly daily. more on that later). packing is the chore that lies ahead. for me, packing is an exercise in distillation. i choose my most versatile but also my favorite items, as they suit the weather and location of my destination. for one thing, it just makes me feel more comfortable wherever i am if i continue to be my regular self, dress like my regular self. also, it is the equivalent of going grocery shopping on a full stomach - i'm less distracted to shop if i'm perfectly content with what i've brought. if my choices are too pared down, then i start to crave, and look, and buy.

when you travel, do you pack your special favorites, your basics or essential travel gear? do you shop for clothes while you're traveling?

3 comments:

Carlene said...

Packing is one of the things I really enjoy about traveling. I make lists for weeks, paring it down as low as I can get, then I add one new piece, for fun. And yes, special favorites, which are also basics AND essential travel gear. And I shop while I'm traveling, but almost never buy.

Where are you going?

Iheartfashion said...

I always pack my special favorites (and don't check luggage! don't want to lose them), and tend to dress up more when I travel than I do at home. Maybe it's my vanity in knowing that I'll be appearing in vacation photos that makes me want to look my best.
I also pack light, very light, and plan to buy clothes to supplement my wardrobe. For me, shopping is a big part of the fun of travelling. Of course it depends on the destination...consciously or not, I tend to choose vacation spots that also have great shops.

editor said...

great minds think alike ladies. :)
i definitely put full effort into my traveling wardrobe, but then that always leaves me wondering why i normally bother with whatever i choose to leave behind.
i never thought of the pictures though, iheartfashion. probably because i'm always the one taking them! but i do consider that i am representing an alternative to the very dated (i hope) stereotype of a US tourist.
and i'm also drawn to places where my interest in shopping, sitting at cafes, strolling the streets, can be well-accommodated. :)
destination to be revealed in thursday's post.