Cookie cutter


the bucket. that's my answer to the question i will pose at the bottom of this post. i looked at the shapes and styles i am most consistently drawn to for purchase - that is, i admire and enjoy many many shapes, but on me, i am happiest in one, and that one best corresponds to a bucket. i have 2 dresses that are basically cotton canvas buckets that happen to be open on the bottom. often called sack dresses, really they are buckets - straight across the top, straps come straight up and over the shoulders. okay, barrels if you will. my purse is essentially a leather version of a 2-handled bucket. the cloche hats i like are just handle-less buckets (though really, i suppose any hat looks like a bucket).

is there an identifiable shape you are particularly drawn to in clothing?
what non-fashion object best corresponds, shares that shape?

11 comments:

Iheartfashion said...

I'd have to say the obvious: hourglass. I love the look of sackdresses on other people, but something with a defined waist is far more flattering on me.

editor said...

^^ i'm wondering what the other options are... ruler? triangle? ...

GenX Theorist said...

I like wearing both options -- hourglass and bucket. And mmm, my third would be "christmas tree"...tunics that flair over the bum with long lean pants underneath. :)

There was an editorial in Vogue last winter that had some good new shape-names...I'm trying to remember..."X" was one of them (wearing strong shoulder/ puffed sleeves and a full skirt), exclaimation point...what else?

editor said...

christmas tree, omgd, that is fantastic. and despite the initial reaction of :o i actually think i really like that too.

Carlene said...

It's not a shape, per se, but I love an envelope. Things that wrap, things that fold upon themselves. The hat would have a folding brim, a scarf wraps and folds. A cardigan, a skirt with a fold-down waist. A bag with a flap that just folds over to close.

editor said...

carlene - an ENVELOPE! ooo, that definitely counts. wonderful, love it! cool. now i'm going to be noticing things in that category. :)

GenX Theorist said...

Oh I like 'envelope' too - that's a great one!

Editor, your blog is truly giving me so many new and fun perspectives on fashion. :)

editor said...

^^ahhhh, my eeevillll plan is working, mwahahaha... sorry, weird moment. :p

but seriously, "that's what it's all about." :)

Anonymous said...

a broom - i like things tight on top and flared on the bottom

editor said...

^^ oh these are all so good!!!

editor said...

^^ oh these are all so good!!!