Flying blind


i have absolutely no complaints about our accommodations in amsterdam - adorable hotel, great location, and i was in a very happy fog, totally filled with love for the city. so i did not much mind that there was no full-length mirror in the room. that said, i had to guess how high to cuff my jeans on one warm day - standing on the edge of the tub, i still had to lean so far to get into the frame of the mirror that it distorted my leg and i couldn't get an accurate reading.

the tub-balancing act notwithstanding, i probably saved myself a bit of time each day by not having my daily dressing aid, and though my appearance may not have benefited from it, psychologically i felt perfectly content with my appearance, merely relying on my confidence in the pieces, without any confirmation of the result. yet now that i'm back home, i have no intention of rejecting the mirror that i have at my disposal again. but i wonder if i should...

how do you suppose having no mirror would effect you?
do you think you would dress differently?

7 comments:

Carlene said...

That's a really good question, the answer to which I have no idea, because I can't remember ever being without a mirror (at least waist up...I've stood on many a bathtub ledge myself).

The shoe/pants/skirt length proportions are the hardest ones to know for sure without scrutiny, so I'd probably look a lot shorter and wider.

Iheartfashion said...

Based on a recent visit to the mall, I'm guessing that a lot of people don't own a full length mirror!
I once went without any kind of mirror for two weeks (it was an Outward Bound-type wilderness trip), and it was freeing in a way, although I've no desire to repeat the experience. Two weeks without a shower, bed or bathroom was enough to put me off camping for the rest of my life!

editor said...

ah, but iheartfashion, that is an entirely different experience altogether. that is living more or less without fashion.
but what about living with fashion, and without reflection!?

anais said...

actually, for a few years i did live without a full-length mirror (and was also, ironically enough, working as a stylist at the time!) at the time, though, my style was deliberately haphazard and pretty punk, so it worked for me. i found it liberating, to be honest. i sort of long to go back to that...

Amy said...

hm.. good question! my closet door has a mirror... and i always look at it when i dress, so probably [although unconsciously] it affects the way i dress (:

Candid Cool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candid Cool said...

i'm semi ashamed to admit it, I'm constantly in the mirror or some kind of reflective surface...

I blame it on preteen awkwardness (far from being a preteen, but i still remember it)...so i guess i'm constantly making sure i don't have something stuck in my teeth, etc...