Look back in anger


there are moments in our lives where fashion is self-expression, a companion, a shield, and sometimes part of the event itself. yes, every single day is a great reason to wear whatever you want and to express your style, but there are some days that stand out, some days that are different, a bit more special. we're all entitled to a grand entrance or 2. i've had mine i think. while i could use the logic that how i dressed reflected the me at the time, i also feel a bit better equipped to assemble a statement-making ensemble now, or simply better able to identify an occasion to wear one. hindsight is 20/20 and all that. then there is the option too of tossing expectation (others', your own) aside, not pandering to the audience you might find yourself facing, and dressing purely for yourself.

are there particular outfits you regret, or occasions you would have dressed differently for, if you could do it again?


(lanvin resort 2008 from style.com)

10 comments:

Candid Cool said...

Not a specific event, more of a time period, I call it: "College"

-h

martha said...

YES!!!!!!! I'm ashamed to bring this up here, because it's such an anti-fashion event, but prom. Ugh!

Allure said...

I regret what I wore to my high-school prom. Here, there's no prom tradition (like in America), and the ceremony was suppossed to be informal.

I wore a pair of jeans, a nice blazer and -kitten heel- sandals. And then when I arrived my best friend was dressed-up, and I was like: "Liar, you tricked me!" Haha

Iheartfashion said...

I'm never happy to see photos of myself during my grunge years in the early 90's, but I met my husband then (who is as anti-grunge as they come), so I guess it wasn't THAT bad.

editor said...

allure - did you laugh at the time?

iheartfashion - oh, but i thought it was so interesting, the way marc jacobs tried to commercialize independent style. he really is always trying to spearhead a movement toward individual style, which is sort of ironic for someone who produces such recognizable stuff. you can always pick a mj piece out of a group, but perhaps that is due to media saturation. don't know. anyways, if you regret grunge, lol, you will cringe at today's post. did you? i'll always remember the vogue layout of kristen mcmenamy in the perry ellis floaty dresses with doc-type boots.

Iheartfashion said...

I had a pair of Docs that I spray-painted silver!
And I was also inspired by that Kristen McMenamy layout in Vogue and the whole ugly/pretty vibe. I still wear elements of "grunge"; I just prefer a mix of tailored pieces with the loose and sloppy layers.

editor said...

silver? woohooo, go iheartfashion! ;)
yes me too, graduated to combining the good with the bad.

Allure said...

No, I didn't laugh at the time! But I didn't feel bad or anything anyway, because many people used informal clothing too. My friend was probably the opposing remark.

Carlene said...

I remember that Vogue layout, too. Actually, I'm thinking of going on eBay and getting a few issues from that era (I want to say 93?)

editor said...

i think '92....