Aiming low



happened to find a great trench for $99 just as i was looking for a great trench, and had been looking at them for a lot more than that. found mine at uniqlo and knew right away that i was drawn to the basic cut and quirky sleeves. quirky sleeves that were very similar to the marni sleeves on the fall '06 runway (both looks pictures are marni items). now, i take comfort that they waited a full year to create inspired-by pieces at uniqlo. had it been the same season as the original marni design debut, i would have felt that i was buying a poor substitute. but the marnis are out of the stores, and the uniqlos are in. that's what i can tell myself. i was not looking for a high-end fix, i was looking for a trench. i found one.

when you buy low-end items, do you care/know if they are knock-offs?

6 comments:

Iheartfashion said...

Oooh, I love those sleeves too!
I wouldn't buy something that was a direct copy of a designer item, or a knock-off bag, but "inspired by" is a bit of a gray area. If it's something I think I'll wear forever, I'm more likely to invest in the real thing, but for a trendier piece I might buy H&M, Topshop, etc. I did buy the J. Crew homage to the Balenciaga blazer...

Candid Cool said...

It doesn't bother me too much, it's kind of the way it is. I'm against real fakes, as in fake but the w/ logos & such. I mean if it's a $2,000 piece and Zara does it for $100, maybe it's not neccessarily appealing to the same customer.

iheart: are you talking about the Lexington? man, I'm pining for that one

TravelGretta said...

Meh. If the item makes me squeal with glee, I don't pay too much attention to anything else. Is that wrong?

landis said...

depends on why you're buying.

no one owns a sleeve, they've all pretty much been co-opted from somewhere. and if you're ok with a lesser quality in the mix (which we all are) i'm always fine with that piece that makes people do a double-take.

as long as it's not a direct knock-off/logo violation/copy.

which forever 21 is in BIG trouble over right now.

Anonymous said...

i dont care about a knock-off if it has its own dignity

GenX Theorist said...

Like everyone else here, I first must differentiate and say that I'm talking about "inspired by" (which you are too) and not, of course, "fakes" or "direct copy" which is a whole other issue.

But inspired by, yeah! I tend to go for the quality over quantity mode in general...however...when I find myself in a conundrum over a shape or cut (will I really like it? am I being a fashion victim? etc) I've learned that if I wait a bit I can usually pick up a low end item and use it as a sort of longevity test-drive.

For example - the big bag. I've been obsessed with the Marni rubber shoulder bags...but am too doubtful that this obsession is worth a 1200 investment. So in this case, I realize (after reading Marie Claire, ahem) that I can pick up a 100 version and use it! See if I like the function of it. Yeah! Inspired by's are great that way.