Hook, line and sinker


these 2 quotes were used in separate ads - can you guess what either was selling?
i was not remotely interested in the products, but the copy did stop and amuse me, getting the companies a lot more of my attention than they would have without it. in general though, i do not give almost any time to ads for things i am not interested in. i am very aware that i scan advertisements for familiarity because i am interested to see how brands i already like are marketing to me, how they are representing themselves. i go through magazines the way i go through racks in a store, only stopping at what i already connect with, not looking for something new.

which do you pay more attention to, ads for favorite brands or ads for unknown (to you) brands...or option c. whatever catches your eye?
any correlation with how you shop?

9 comments:

martha said...

No idea what those lines could have been used to sell - but I love the second; it might be useful this week.

I think I pay more attention to ads for brands I already know as well. And I guess yes, that is also how I shop.

Iheartfashion said...

I don't recognize the ad copy, but I like that first quote. I look at all ads for clothing or accessories because I find the marketing of fashion fascinating and I'm always curious about how brands evolve and position themselves through advertising. For instance, St. John, a brand I associate with older, conservative corporate women and would not be caught dead in, using Angelina Jolie just seemed completely incongrous to me.

editor said...

^^^oh, i have to say, i don't think those ads with jolie work. but maybe they do appeal to their target audience...

Iheartfashion said...

No, I don't think they work either...AJ sitting in an office working at a computer? She's too much of a global "personality" to play a generic model. I think their partnership is over now.

editor said...

i guess the major purpose of signing her was that they suddenly got a bit of editorial coverage, if nothing else, as a news piece, simply for hiring her. but as far as having an impact on sales.... i would be doubtful, but who knows.

editor said...

i guess the major purpose of signing her was that they suddenly got a bit of editorial coverage, if nothing else, as a news piece, simply for hiring her. but as far as having an impact on sales.... i would be doubtful, but who knows.

TravelGretta said...

I don't know, but I just went out and bought 34 of those Old Navy Fair Isle sweaters...

Iheartfashion said...

Travelgretta: yes, those ads are very appealing!

landis said...

i love you two. freaks.

:)

so, i search for that which catches my eye, that which leaps out and says "here, me, NOW", whether in a magazine or a store. or a flea market. then, over time, i give credit and return to those brands or booths that consistently deliver that AH HA experience.

so loyalty is earned, and the hunt never diminishes.

but when the hunt comes up empty, i do go back to those sources for some comfort.