Putting your best ____ forward


i never understand when shoe stores have low one foot tall mirrors on the floor that reflect how a shoe looks on a leg from mid-calf down. i can look at a shoe on a shelf and have enough imagination to envision it on a foot. what i want to see is how it makes me look, how i stand, what the whole picture is.

with clothing, i only try it on after it has passed certain aesthetic requirements on the hanger, so the reflection then is about how it makes me look. my face (a top, primarily the color), waist (top, bottom), derrière (bottom), legs (bottom) look. if i buy it, i must have concluded that it was all good. one happy picture to commemorate someone's birthday or a trip, family gathering, etc. can disavow me of that misconception once in a while. i guess i didn't look closely enough in the dressing room. or in the right place. or with the right critical eye.

what do you check for in your reflection when purchasing?


photograph: chuck close

12 comments:

Candid Cool said...

everything.

Shar said...

Color against my face, that it doesn't make my bust/hips look overly large and that my waist is defined.

Alexandra said...

The big test is whether it makes me feel skinny.
If it passes that, it has a chance. Otherwise, it might be the best color, excellent price etc etc, I still won't get it.

TravelGretta said...

Is this a skinny mirror? Is it? I can't tell...It looks like a skinny mirror.

Where can I buy this mirror?

Iheartfashion said...

Flattering fit is number one, over price, color, brand, etc. My favorite pants are mustard yellow trousers from H&M, so cheap, but they fit as if they were made for me.

Anonymous said...

fit, comfort, quality. color, and price.


uniform woman

landis smithers said...

i turn quickly, and see where my eye goes first. very telling.

if it goes to my face, probably a killer outfit. if it goes to my crotch. . . also good.

;)

a. said...

haha (landis). editor, i am so there with you on the silly shoe mirrors.

the does it fit? judgment happens before i look in the mirror. then, i tend to sort of blur my eyes, which is to see how it works overall. and hopefully i'm trying it on with something that i would wear it with - i'm more and more trying to bring other items in to the dressing room with me in case say, i'm trying on a top i would wear with work pants but i'm wearing a casual skirt or something...

and then - how does it make my body look? of course. for me the questions are - does it make my shoulders/chest look (even) broader/bigger? (bad). having things fit through my chest tends to be a problem. does it give me an ass? (good) can i picture wearing it with other things in my wardrobe? (hard but i am trying to get better at visualizing/remembering items from my closet when shopping). sometimes i'll move in it to see how i look when i am my normal (super-klutzy) self.

Vildy said...

what kind of light does it throw on my face. So, really, I check clothes on my body by looking primarily at my face. I once read - in Levene's 10 Steps to Fashion Freedom? - to check fit of clothes without looking in the mirror. To see how they feel on. To remember to move in them. I wish dressing rooms were larger and all included the chairs or benches they used to have.

editor said...

vildy - trying on clothes without looking in the mirror... i'm going to try that some time!!

martha said...

Hmmmm. I would say that I go for an overall impression, which now that I think about it, probably isn't very wise. I look for an abstract sense, that is, not based on anything tangible, of whether or not I think I look good.

martha said...

and I do believe that is one awful picture of Miss Moss.