Values


disclaimer: i know the following math is not perfect; all prices are full-price, pre-tax.
1. one pair of miu miu buckle-strap maryjane ballet flats ($385) =
2. one silk hermes 36in square scarf ($325) + one 150ml tub of philip kingsley elasticizer hair treatment ($42) =
3. one me&ro leather cord bracelet with a single 10k gold bead ($380) =
4. one comme des garcons animal print zip wallet ($200) + one pair maria la rosa cashmere (70% cashmere, 30% lycra) leggings ($195) =
5. one 3.1 phillip lim knot tie t-shirt ($175) + one theory "golda" pencil skirt ($190) =
6. one diane von furstenberg "ayuka" cap sleeve jersey dress ($385) =
7. one pair of frye "anna" mary jane flats ($148) + levis men's shrink-to-fit 501 jeans ($46) + one petite bateau long sleeve cotton t-shirt ($37) + one opening ceremony wool flap vest ($150)

when shopping, do you ever consider the value of an item in relation to other options?

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I don't usually do this before I buy - but I might do it afterwards and think "hmmm, interesting..."

Shar said...

As I have been putting my husband through law school for the past 3 years (he just passed the bar!) I do this with EVERY purchase, though on a different level. I have to think, do I really want the $300 coat, or should I save it for the oil bill, or the rent, or Law school books...But now that I dont have to worry so much about paying the bills, I will probably do it anyway out of habit. I always seem to qualify any purchase I make, be it $5 for a starbucks run, or $250 for a pair of boots.

Candid Cool said...

maybe more when it comes to food, hmm...hmm...this $5 dollar turkey sandwich that i could make at home for nothing, could be a t-shirt or something...

TravelGretta said...

I was told there'd be no math with blogging.

editor said...

michelle - anytime i do it after the fact, it usually leaves me annoyed at myself. so i try not to.

shar - yes, i do that too, but sort of in reverse. just paid the plumber $135 for...not much, and i'm thinking about the better, or more fun ways i could have spent that.

candid cool - brownbagging it = clothes!
come on travelgretta, that kind of math is not painful.

landis smithers said...

my head hurts.

a. said...

i am ALL about the brownbagging it = clothes equation. had egg salad today, yum. and i just started keeping a budget a couple of weeks ago, in a spreadsheet and everything. already i've found that i have generally been shifting any surpluses in other columns (which would include things like, uh, food and health) into the column that is solely for clothing. in fact my categories are food, health, transportation, clothing, fun, and miscellaneous. i wonder what a financial advisor would make of the fact that i give clothing its own column...

editor said...

a. sneak it in as "art/recreation/hobbies" and your hypothetical financial advisor might not protest. actually, rereading your list, i see some repetition: "health" "clothing" "fun" - that's one category right there!