Btdt


i was wondering whether the technically inaccurate but consistently popular rhetoric that ownership is 9/10ths of the law could apply to style. not in terms of what we, as individuals, hold authorship of over others, but rather in terms of the personal time line of your style in the larger cycle of trends - if you did it the first time, or before the trend hit, any interest in revisiting? i don't mean that old (10+ years to qualify) favorites should have to go into a time capsule. quite the contrary - for me they never stopped being part of the selection, yet if i wear them now, it will appear to be on the new wave of popularity (heinous thought).

how do you retain the authenticity of something that has been appropriated?

5 comments:

Candid Cool said...

if i wasnt old enough to recognize this as like a virgin Madonna days i would think that was a shot from face hunter!

i feel a similar way about the Palestinian scarves. it irritates me that they now come in neon colors… but I guess I don’t live in a major city so I can wear mine w/o looking like a sheep, and its no big secret that I look of middle eastern-esque descent, among other things.

i guess the only thing is to wear it despite....

martha said...

"despite" - you are very wise, candid cool.

b. said...

Interesting that the first comment mentions what immediately came to my mind...

I bought my black & white scarf about 20 years ago in college, from a little import shop in my small Midwestern (US) home town. I'd only ever seen one like it, on a friend I admired. I never thought of it as trendy; I just liked its look and versatility. I wore it to tatters, sewing it up every time it ripped.

I recently had to give up 95% of my wardrobe before moving to another continent. For some reason I decided to keep that beat-up, faded cotton scarf - only to find that they're everywhere in my new city.

Between the scarf and my other uncool favorite looks (leggings, low-top sneakers and the haircut I just got to cope with damp weather), I feel unintentionally stylish for the first time in my life.

jakjak said...

I think ones attitude has a lot to do with it, don't ride the waves of popularity with your clothing just keep going with what you are doing.
Its amusing/interesting to see a fad be made of what the "original" has been wearing for years but eventually everyone else will stop wearing it (when the fad stops) and the "original" just keeps on going.

a. said...

to me there seems to be no point in worrying about it. i don't think i'm ever ahead of the trends, but worrying about it only makes me question what i want to wear, and complicates things. when, what makes me happy has nothing to do with what others are or are not wearing.