Seeking shade


growing up in l.a., and now as a visitor, my personal aesthetic never quite meshes with the prevailing style. i like the old los angeles, the hollywood haunts and the deco facades. but when it comes to personal style, here in sunny southern california, i have always been a party of 1.
several months ago the first a.p.c. store opened here, and creature of comfort seems to be doing well, both on melrose and on the web, but they are the exception to the general rule. when i lived here before, i was on my own, and my city did not influence my style.

if you were entirely isolated (from stimulation, commerce, etc.), what would you wear?

and happy new year!
i'll be back to normal ;) posting on friday.

11 comments:

TravelGretta said...

Probably just some sunscreen!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

flowers in my hair.
maybe some seashell necklace

lovely picture! i need a vacation!

uniform woman

Alexandra said...

Hmmm...Probably the lightest, most comfortable, breathable hiking-type pants, a tank top, and (yes, I'm ashamed of admitting this) Birkenstocks.

editor said...

my answer today is cargo pants, pretty tops and sneakers.
tomorrow i might say something else.

Vildy said...

cold: very loose, baggy, fleecy layers
hot: very loose, airy, like a sleepshirt falling off my shoulders

jakjak said...

My thoughts instantly go to something like tibetan robes or a mao suit. I guess because people who wear such things have either deliberately or forcefully been removed from fashion/city/style stimulation.
Actually I have been secretly hoping for years that Mao suits (as in chinese pj type things) would become socially acceptable.

Candid Cool said...

im assuming id be filthy rich enought to isolate myself. so roberto cavalli, lots and lots of roberto cavalli

Carlene said...

I'm with jakjak on the monk's robes...cashmere in cold weather, linen in warm. In every beautiful color.

And a hat. So my shaved head doesn't burn.

And contacts, because I'm blind. Oh, sunglasses.

(And, depending on where I'm isolated, plenty o' bug spray)

(And a Birkin)

:)

martha said...

If I were isolated (now you said nothing about an island - everyone is just assuming) - I think I would still love nice dresses, pretty shoes and trench coats.
...
.....
........ or sweats......

Candid Cool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think I would dress less boring than what I actually do! I would go all the way and wear what I really felt like wearing, instead of caring so much about the opinions of other people... Some days it would be slobby and some days it would be to-die-for :)