Homework


after spending the weekend rearranging the furniture in the living room - not one piece of furniture was moved less than three times - i allowed myself to be distracted by talking clothes with a friend. she mentioned experimenting at home with some things. this was not to go anywhere, just trying some stuff for herself.
while i will gamely try a couch up against every wall in the room, and then floating in the middle, and then back to the place i had it several months ago, all in an hour or two, it does not often occur to me to do the same thing with my clothes. when i try things, it tends to be for the day. i wear my experiments out and conclude whether or not they work by the end of 8-10 hours. and yes, sometimes with regrets that i didn't pause in front of a mirror sooner.

do you ever play dress up?

11 comments:

Meg from The Bargain Queens & All About Appearances said...

I play dress up when I weed my closet or get new stuff -- and both tend to happen the same day since it's easier to get rid of stuff when you just got better stuff.

It does help me come up with new outfits. Sometimes I end up keeping things that I thought I was going to send to Goodwill. Other times, I realize that I really can't make any nice outfits with something that I thought was great and off to the Goodwill pile it goes.

TravelGretta said...

Oh thank GOD it's not just me! I play dress-up at least twice a week. I have a horrible memory, and often forget what is in my closet, so dress-up helps me with this.

editor said...

it occurred to me this morning - i do experiment/play with my hair.

Vildy said...

travelgretta already said everything I was going to! If I didn't play dress-up I wouldn't be able to get dressed, at least not in any way other than for warmth.

landis smithers said...

i have taken to trying things out ahead of time, so when i hit the world i am comfortable AND experimenting.

i have a big event in nyc next week, and it's driving me up a wall with what to wear that DOESN"T involve buying something new.

hence, dress up.

Candid Cool said...

all the time, even online (polyvore), and i even have a mannequin...
it could be 2 in the morning, but i must know if my resin coated jeans go with those boots and that jacket, it's madness!

editor said...

landis - if you're going to be seeing different people than you normally see, then we both know that there is likely something in your closet that will fit the bill.
my only tip - dress warm!

Anonymous said...

There are certain things I play with - scarves, shoes... things that are easy to remove, or put on, without getting entirely undressed. I only get dressed twice a day, once for going out and once for going to bed. Anything I play with has to be in addition to my clothes.

dreamecho said...

obviously. ;)

i actually wish i had more time in the week to do it; i get sad if i don't get to play dress up at least once a week.

martha said...

Only in my mind.

Anonymous said...

I would subtract the flaps on the front of the pants.