Headlines


a variety of fashion magazines and sites routinely set my mind abuzz with thoughts of ribbon and lace and tulle and bangles and sweaters and dresses (that's just the list from this week). but other sources bring my mind back down to earth.

this week the l.a. times had an article clarifying that a "made in italy" label does not mean "made by italians" - i feel like that's splitting hairs, except that the implication of such a label is exploited (like the workers), as well as the customer's value of such a label and willingness to pay more for it. more good news from the nytimes today - "the january report on consumer prices in the united states, released this week, showed that the prices of apparel are now higher than they were two years ago... the apparel increases, which have been strongest in women's clothing, contributed to a rising overall inflation rate that set of talk of stagflation this week." then the financial times offered up, in an article on a new international survey of men's wear shopping trends, the statistics that in the west, "women spend more than twice as much as men on clothing (a breakdown of 70/30)." so i'm spending more, paying more, and getting less.

does business news ever effect your attitude towards clothing/shopping?

6 comments:

enc said...

Business news sometimes affects my attitude toward clothing and shopping, but it depends on what I'm shopping for. If it's basics, like t-shirts, and dungarees, and sweaters, then the answer is no. I need those anyway, and I'll just have to pay the price. But if it's a dress or a jacket or a bag whose price was cringe-inducing to begin with, I'll check the price first, and really think about it. Bags, for example, go up hundreds of dollars, whereas basics seem only to increase by a few dollars. The proportions affect me. Nevertheless, I know when prices rise because I pay attention in the shops; business news sometimes tells me what I already know—prices are higher, but that same news gives me the why, which is useful.

Prêt-à-Porter P said...

yes, business news has an effect on my shopping esp. since my pay is based on consumer spending, if consumers dont buy=i make less money=i spend less money.

nowadays w/ the scary econ., i dont make impulse purchases. if i dont instantly LOVE it, i dont buy it. i stay away from the boutiques that have items that i know i will covet if i see them. and less shopping trips because of the gas prices.

and not really "business news" but there is a serial killer at large in my area. so yah, that definitely has an effect on my shopping.

fashionaddict said...

About the "Made in Italy" thing, I was actually quite turned off by the whole thing, because if the quality of a product from their factory in China was just as good, then why bother with the "Italy" thing at all - they should be honest about it.

Stories about sweatshops also disturb me, and stories about "ethical" clothing - though I don't entirely embrace the concept - has made me more aware about the enormous amount of waste clothing generates.

All this has contributed to me aiming to cut down on how much I buy - though not to enc's level of dedication (S.I.N.C.B.M.) :)

enc said...

Oh, fashionaddict, everyone knows I'm a maniac!

nataJane said...

I just stumbled across your blog, and have been enjoying the read! I've linked to my blog... hope you don't mind :)

editor said...

natajane - i am very flattered by your visit and by the link!
off to check you out...