Psych 101


i bought a beautiful new dress recently. i had a justification - i'm invited to a wedding this summer. i do have things in the closet that would have sufficed, to be sure, but using the occasion as an excuse to look around, i then further diluted any residual reservations that might muck up an otherwise clear conscience with the simple truth that something new would feel good - not just on the appointed day, but now, thinking about it, admiring it, just acquiring it would pep me up a bit. this time i was perfectly honest with myself. when things are serious, i do not have an interest to shop, but when it's a nagging anxiousness, when i can't concentrate on other things, shopping is the simplest method to feel calm and in control, though, like with other habits, i'm not always aware that i'm doing it (until it's too late).

i did it, i shopped for comfort - but with my eyes wide open. i shop for different reasons, comfort, inspiration, boredom. it's nice when, like this time, need can play a small part as well. entering a relatively stressful week now, i am on heightened alert, however, not to shop or buy, wary that the influencing factor in the "to buy, or not to buy" dilemma won't be something that can sustain a satisfying relationship with the item. essentially, i can't trust myself to think clearly, so i'm going to have to do without my most typical ... nervous habit, if you will, that i normally rely on in these circumstances.

is your judgment sometimes clouded? by what

12 comments:

jakjak said...

My judgement is always clouded by the future. I buy dresses for when I get invited to a grand ball (still waiting), riding boots and jodphurs for the equestrian season I am going to have, yoga outfits for the yoga class I am going to sign up to - I'm sure you get the picture.

martha said...

You mean temporary things, like stressors?
I do think I can act irrationally when I get a paycheck, or monetary gift. Suddenly I forget what I've been wanting and shop irresponsibly, as if there is plenty more where that came from.
Definitely an approaching birthday gives me a (false) sense of entitlement and I make a point to shop, regardless of need or want.
And yes, to be perfectly honest, if I'm stressed or anxious, I suppose I do try to block out the causes with some shopping goodness.

Alexandra said...

Yes- I do shop occasionally for the lifestyle I wish I had and not the one I actually have.

Thus, I own many cocktail-party-appropriate outfits and hardly have anything appropriate for 7:30 am work meetings.

Anonymous said...

editor - I think you finally formulated the question you were looking for in your sad "Bandaid" post a few weeks back.

For me, any stress or sadness definitely sends me off shopping - sometimes it's just window shopping, but still. And so then yes, as a result, if I do shop, the motivation is not always finding the perfect item for myself, and so I would say that my judgment is clouded.

UniformLady said...

wowzers
I like this blog a lot better. *cough* *wink* hehehe
anyways, editor. my judgment is forever clouded. for an upcoming vacation, or the vacation after the upcoming vacation.
I love my fantasy life..not reality.

editor said...

uniformlady, i am embarrassed to say that it took me about 2 minutes before i got it. *cough**wink*

anonymous - ...
i think you're right.

yes martha, i did mean temporary things, exactly like stressors, if that is something that clouds your judgment, as they do mine.

enc said...

Did I comment on this, or did I lose my mind? Was it a terrible comment?

editor said...

perhaps your subconscious prevented you from posting a terrible comment. feel free to suppress your subconscious for a second and post away.

enc said...

I think I said something like: "My judgment is clouded by emotion." Hmm, I wonder if that was worth it. Perhaps it wasn't so much terrible as boring? After all, whose judgment ISN'T clouded by emotion?

TravelGretta said...

My judgement is clouded by skinny mirrors. I look FABULOUS in skinny mirrors, and subsequently FABULOUS in nearly everything I try on.
The mirror in my apartment is the reality check. Stupid reality check.

a. said...

my judgment is clouded by shiny, subtly metallic, red leather flats. beautiful, perfectly formed flats, with just two pairs left, one of which fit me perfectly.

my emotions were fine. i just hadn't been near a shop in ages as i am trying this whole new budget thing. and red flats have been on my "list" for a long time... and i will be able to make space in the budget this time... but they certainly weren't the clothing items i meant to be buying this month! so i guess this is a long-winded way of saying that my judgment is clouded by beautiful objects. bah.

Anonymous said...

Boredom has definitely been an enemy of logic in the past.
Oh, and cash in pocket, definitely. "Have money, will spend." tsk tsk