A need for it

some purchases i make in the blink of an eye, without any prior consideration, and some things i deliberate. since i'm currently facing the option of plenty of time, i am taking advantage and thinking. when i do buy something, it could well end up being something i had not thought about, but at least when i make my choice, it can be weighed against something i had thought about. i could easily go out tomorrow and choose my 1 or 2 items and be done with it, but this is perfectly fun for now, and i'm in no rush.
in the past, i have felt absolutely urgency, on occasion. even the things that i hesitated on, the initial attraction was immediate. if i buy something in june, or october, it may well be something that i decided on this week. we'll see.

what is the longest amount of time you've ever spent thinking about something you were going to buy?
did you buy that item?
what is the shortest?

8 comments:

enc said...

Several months
(contemplating a motorcycle).

Yes
(I subsequently sold it).

Several seconds
(food at the grocery store. I sometimes regret these snap decisions).

The solemn cat said...

When out shopping I'll be quite decisive but dither while internet shopping. A topshop jacket has been going in and out of my virtual shopping basket for days now.
And it seems the bigger the item the quicker the decision. Items of furniture have been bought on a whim, such as a rickety "antique" cabinet which I insisted would be ideal as a TV stand. It wasn't.

Iheartfashion said...

I've never spent more than an hour making a purchasing decision, including on a house or car. I've got some regrets (a 1994 Jaguar XJ6 that was a lovely driveway sculpture but never worked), and am working on slowing down...

K.Line said...

I Heart: You're hardcore! :-)

The longest I've spent is about a month, for a long, grey cashmere sweater (by Line). Much like I Heart, I've spent thousands of dollars on 5 minutes of thought, but for clothing, 400.00 per item is pretty much the outer limit. Note: I bought it, I love it and I wear it all the time.

The shortest, most significant purchase was on my house. Decided on the spot (inspection pending). Don't regret that one either, though it did set me back hundreds of thousands of dollars! :-)

fashionaddict said...

Longest: 3 months. Was saving for a loooong trip in Europe and working for peanuts and could not bring myself to buy a bag from Topshop a really loved. It was about US$80. I was that broke.

I bought it. Tried to hold out for a sale but cracked when I was told it was the last one. At least I think they weren't lying; I never saw it during the sale.

Shortest: at any given checkout counter, I am liable to decide in about 2 seconds I really want a a) pig-shaped eraser; a flowery pen, an extra bar of chocolate; mints; a skull ring....you get the idea

-h of candid cool said...

maybe months, if im waiting for a particular item to go on sale.
otherwise it goes into the things i want to buy when i get around to it category.
ive been wanting a bottle of eau noire since i was in ny in nov.
the shortest, minutes, when im just buying t-shirts at gap or something.

Imelda Matt said...

6 months and it was a bloody coffee machine !?!?!? The shortest was a nano second for a Gucci belt that had been marked down by 75%. I was in HK department store Joyce (with 12 million other shoppers) so I had to move quickly!

Deirdre said...

I have a rule: unless I need it right now, I wait a couple of days. If I'm still thinking about it, I buy it.

I've lost a couple of fantastic items this way, but I've saved myself a mint.