In terms of style


i love grey. i adore grey. i actively pursue grey. grey is a priority. gray, on the other hand, does not hold the same appeal.
i love my pants, yet i would never ever ever go near slacks. occasionally trousers pique my curiosity.
ruffles? eh.
layers? ah.
words are interesting. if you've ever called a store looking for an item and had to describe it to the sales person and found your skills...wanting, as you fail to successfully identify the item in question for your audience, you might feel inclined to question the years you spent as an english major...or perhaps blame lies with the associate's obvious lack of familiarity with their stock, which no doubt you are accurately defining through inspiring and passionate language and in impressive detail.
the experience might make you realize how often you relate to fashion visually, and rarely verbally.
when my mom wants to figuratively run a new purchase by me, over the phone, we often struggle to find descriptive terms that we mutually understand - thank goodness for skype video calls!
and then there is the whole matter of using foreign words, like rouge, noir, culottes.

are you aware of having a preferred fashion vocabulary? (now i'm talking about your own words, not advertising/catalog language that we do or don't like - i know that jcrew has people working around the clock to come up with 9,999 new ways to say 'yellow.') does it serve you well?

6 comments:

enc said...

I have a pretty good knowledge and understanding of fashion vocabulary, because I've been reading about/interested in it for more than 20 years, but I'm a long way from knowing everything. I find new words every time I pick up Vogue, or read a review of a show.

I wish that yellow could just be yellow, not "maize," or "gold," etc. But then again, yellow isn't as evocative as those other words.

Anonymous said...

Yay, you're back.
I think my fashion vocabulary is not up to snuff. I usually have to resort to hand gestures and "thingy" to supplement it, I'm afraid, when trying to describe.
As for preferred fashion words, I have an inexplicable aversion to the word "hem" (as a noun or a verb) and it's cousin, "hemline." I wish I knew all the various types of pocket styles that there are, oh, and I'm totally with you on "grey" but it's one of those things I don't understand. It's just a feeling. That change in the vowel just captures the...essence of the color. "Grey" is just more grey.

-h of candid cool said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-h of candid cool said...

Im with you on the Grey, Dorian Grey, just sounds better than Dorian Gray. Even though they sound the same. That may not make sense, but it's a style quirk of mine.
High waisted trousers sounds better than high waisted pants.
And pleather is a bleh word too.

fashionaddict said...

(I love grey too. That's a serious understatement by the way.)

I have a tendency to use food terms to describe clothes (this is because my other great love is eating. I am guilty of doing that j. crew thing and describing things as 'caramel', ' chocolate", 'plum', 'saffron', 'honey', 'tomato'. 'Bread' means something in the colour of sliced white bread with brown crusts. Like a off-white canvas tote trimmed in brown leather. I should stop before I get carried away.

I hate the word 'frock' - it equals frilly. I don't like the word 'camisole' - it equals something lace-trimmed.

Anonymous said...

A girlfriend asked me to pick her up a purse from a Coach outlet store when I went cross-border shopping. She provided me with vague details as to the style she preferred.

Upon arriving at the store, several purses appeared as if they each might meet her preference. I tried, ever-so-covertly, to take pictures of the purses, with which I intended to then message her. Alas, my operation was foiled and I was informed by said store's staff that the taking of pictures of their product was strictly prohibited.

So, I called my girlfriend and did my best to vebrally describe each purse. She couldn't make a commitment; a sale was lost.

Upon returning home and meeting with her, I sketched her a picture of the particular bag in which she wasn't interested, but could not commit.

Her response to my sketch and description?

"Oh, that's exactly what I wanted."

Poo poo to you, Coach store. Had you allowed me to point and shoot, you would have had a sale

(Conversely, perhaps, had I been more eloquent in my choice of words, perhaps you would have had a sale too).

xo

Sabina