In hot pursuit


used to get dropped off at the mall (in my youth) with $20 in hand (easily-earned, untaxed babysitting money), only to be collected again 3 or 4 hours later with very little to show for it. maybe the occasional accessory, but lunch and a few snacks always munched up my money.

now i shop from home about 80% of the time via the internet. and i won't argue that it takes its toll in the form of shipping, but still, time-wise and even cost-wise, it can't be beat. i don't pay extra for transportation and i can forage in the kitchen if my blood sugar drops, though since i am using almost zero energy, the trusty basal metabolic rate gets no help from my "activity" and my energy reserve, therefore, is barely taxed (i do type at a respectable 70wpm, but that is of little use when a cc has a mere 15 or 16 numbers on it). oh, and tax! - sites/companies that are out-of-state, and have no in-state branches, don't charge me any tax.

with the us average for gas at $3.61 per gallon right now, the act of shopping can be hard on the wallet even before you fall in love with the jeanstopdresssweaterjacket that is just so perfect.
for me, a typical shopping day in the real world easily munches up my $20 again.

on average, how much does the act of shopping cost you, in collateral expenditures?

9 comments:

erica said...

if i go shopping in nyc, it's $30 for a chinatown bus ticket, $10 for a metro card, and $30 for food.

if i go shopping in boston, the average cost of shopping is $3 for the bus, or else i ride my bike if the weather is nice.

when i go shopping in boston, it's mostly to browse and generate ideas (i.e. research). so, i need to do both online and b&m in order to feel like a successful shopper.

laia. said...

ooh living in nyc is great because I dont have to worry about gas prices, thank god for the train! 4 dollars total round trip and if I decide to treat myself to a fancy dinner then an extra 20-25 dollars.
not bad.

Iheartfashion said...

For Boston, it's $14 round trip on the train (driving and parking would be more, and less relaxing), then at least two coffees during a full day of shopping ($4), and usually a meal ($20-$30) and a magazine to read on the ride home ($5). So, all told, it's about $50 before I even buy anything.

Alexandra said...

Never thought about this before,but probably not much- bus tickets, maybe a coffee and a small treat to go with it and that's it usually. So, less than $10.

greying pixie said...

If I shop in my home town I walk into the centre which takes about 10 minutes. If I shop in London, I would never go specifically to do so (cost of train fare £25) but would wait until I'm there for work and then add on a visit to the shops at the end of the working day.

I rarely buy clothes at full price but wait until the end of season sales - I believe in destiny to a certain extent. However sometimes a bargain can cost you badly as for example with a beautiful gunmetal grey two piece top and long tube skirt I bought at an Issey Miyake sample sale four years ago for £5 - a bargain you would have thought. However I had nothing to use as an appropriate jacket for it and have finally found a one for £200 to complete the outfit - a false economy indeed!

Sisty said...

Just my time. I do all my shopping in Washington DC, where I live, usually on the way home from work or at lunchtime. I don't go to New York just to shop, but every time I'm there, I work in a day of shopping. Then, it usually costs me a snack and a drink, about $20.

When I'm home, the only cost is the time it takes to take things back because I've decided to buy them in haste.

a. said...

one of my most-frequented shops is less than 2 blocks away from my home. i typically stop for a coffee on my way over. so, $1.50.

most of the "mall"-type shops, if i'm in the mood to visit them (mostly to see whats new for the season), i go after work - and i walk. take the train home as usual = no more extra $ spent. every so often i'll give in to my hunger, and both times i've succumbed with an old-fashioned steak dinner, about $17.

target is another common destination. that costs me some gas + car wear and tear, tho not too much. plus i often get a bag o' popcorn when i'm there. yum. so, let's say $4 total for the mileage and the popcorn?

browsing in boutiques typically happens when i'm also doing other things (meeting up with a friend etc.) or unexpectedly on my way to run errands. it usually requires a coffee afterwards to recharge as well.

fun question! :-)

-h of candid cool said...

right now im having bad luck with online shopping. so far what ive ordered online has to go right back, so im paying double for shipping.

enc said...

Gas here is $4.15 per gallon. Blech.

Usually, shopping trips would cost about $100-$200, but that was then.

I have no idea what it would cost me now, now that I'm a penny-pincher.