"Just when you think you're out"

i had given up on t-shirts and made my peace with it. i have 3 or 4 that i wear under things, like dresses, or under sweaters in the winter, but i never just wear a tee, so i would say they are low on my list of necessities, and certainly never a staple (am i a freak?). it's a combination of never finding one that fit quite right (too tight in the body, too high of a neck, too low of a neck, too wide in the shoulders, too boxy) and...no, that's all, just not finding the right fit, that's my basic beef with the tee.

i was looking around online saturday night and saw this tee. they only had one up in white, actually, so it wasn't really this specific one. the dropped shoulders and extra seam for shape at the shoulder held my attention just long enough to get the thing stuck in my head. then sunday morning i looked again and they had added a navy and a black. i put in my order for the black.

i thought i was beyond this, but rittenhouse has pulled me back in with this possibly (it's en route) perfect tee - that and a wicked combo of boredom and busy-ness (counterintuitive, i know, but that's how i operate) that got me poking around where i oughtn't.
blame it maybe on summer plans of casual days and some travel and the unarguable ease that a tee promises (though in my history, it doesn't deliver). maybe this one won't make me feel like i ought to be washing a car. it's a balance of simplicity and definite design, which i think could describe most everything i'm drawn to. i'm imagining the black fading with each wash until it becomes my own customized shade of greyish greeny grey that black always fades out to.
am i setting myself up for disappointment?

if you have a bad history with an item of clothing, are you fated to do without, or is there always hope?

and

how can i resist getting drawn to things i've sworn off of? anyone?

9 comments:

cybill said...

Jeans. Jeans and I are not friends so I currently don't own any pairs. I do still try them on in stores sometimes, there are so many styles to choose from that surely 'one day my pair will come.'

For your second question, don't swear off things because it limits you. If a t-shirt now appeals to you now there might be a reason, or a car that needs washing.

Imelda Matt said...

stay strong...just give in to the urge and indulge...lol

Carlene said...

High heels. I look now, but no longer buy. Oh, I can walk in them okay. But I inherited my dad's muscular, bow-legged calves (Tony calls 'em "hiking legs". I love him). In heels, from the knee down, it's pure drag queen, and not in a good way. I have given up hope (wedges are okay, though).

How can you resist getting drawn to things you've sworn off of?

Don't swear off 'em. (I have authority issues, even with my own inner authority.)

Alexandreena said...

i very rarely wear skirts. I cannot seem to get comfortable in them and feel all fussy and generally unhappy...and yet I own so many and keep buying new ones periodically. So, I don't have any advice to give...

Iheartfashion said...

I had sworn off dresses entirely (except for gowns), but found myself buying a thick eggplant satin above-the-knee dress this past weekend. It was too lovely to resist and fit perfectly. We'll see if it ever makes it out of the closet...

fashionaddict said...

Hmmm I leave it to fate. I don't seek it out unless it whispers to me in a way others don't (rather like your tee here, which looks very cool to me, wasted if only limited to car washes). I don't hope for it either. So anything remotely intriguing is a pleasant surprise and bonus.

Swearing off something usually has the perverse effect of making me want something more. Better to let yourself be drawn to it, and then reject it in a fit of clear-headedness. You'll feel quite pleased after that.

enc said...

I think it takes constant reminders that the item was bad for us in whatever way, and it's not going to change.

I'm really interested in this particular post, because—if I have my facts correct—it'll signal your first purchase since the ban.

How do you feel about that?

editor said...

ah enc, you're doing it again, you're calling my change in shopping a "ban" when it was no such thing. i wanted to change how i shopped, not that i shopped. and i did, but not through abstinence, just through effort. this t is #5 for the year, but it's #3 since feb., when i decided i would avoid all frivolous shopping (hence the major reduction in accumulated items).

editor said...

oh, and enc, clearly i did not make my goal of 2 items per year, but if i stop now, i could claim 3 since i'm conveniently not counting the 2 items purchased prior to my decision to shop less. i wonder...