Sex sells


the other day i was going past the shop of a major american designer. i noticed wording on the windows and for some reason stepped closer to read. it was identification of a distinct antique item in the window, used as a prop for the larger fashion display. it listed the object and proprietor of it, presumably as public acknowledgment/publicity in exchange for the loan. in each window - there were half a dozen or more along the store front - this was repeated for a particular prop.

for whom was this relationship more beneficial? the fashion designer, who was able to create a particular display as well as underscore an equation between the clothes and these aspirational items, or the actual guardian of the items (i can't recall specifics but they all seemed to come from various shops/galleries), who had an opportunity to get the pieces out of storage and in front of a larger-than-usual audience.

how often are you attracted to collateral bait (in editorials, ads, windows, catalogs, etc.)?

7 comments:

Imelda Matt said...

not enough...window displays aren't that eye catching in OZ

greying pixie said...

I think we are all attracted to collateral bait, as you call it, whether conciously or not.

Carlene said...

Probably more than I think.

Once I bought a magazine, I cannot remember what it was! Something that only came out once, I think it was representing a clothing company. The outfit on the cover was what got me, and I thought it would be a magazine full of the same type of thing.

No. As a matter of fact, the cover outfit *wasn't even the company's merchandise*!! I know, because I wrote and asked why I couldn't find the information on the cover outfit, and they told me. I was pissed.

But was that really a case of "collateral bait"?

enc said...

Often; sometimes more than the actual item for "sale."

Duchesse said...

Piggybacking on Carlene's point- this is what celebrity endorsement does, you are not buying just the product but also the allure of the celebrity.

fashionaddict said...

I vividly remember a Ralph Lauren ad where I really really wanted the sofa.

I think it benefits the fashion designer in the sense that it allows him/her to complete the vision, and consequently the designer gets credit for putting it together while the maker of the sofa will probably be less unrecognised. But the maker could derive personal satisfaction from having it displayed out there.

landis smithers said...

ALL THE TIME!

hell, i put it in our ads all the time. they call it "borrowed equity", and it's powerful stuff. like a bottle full of gypsy dust, it imbues a brand with a sense of history, of depth, of place.

and that's something we all want.