Doctor's orders

aw drats, eye doctor said i'm far-sighted. i need reading glasses...no, wait, let me rephrase that, i need glasses for reading.* and i won't lie, i'm looking forward to finding a pair for myself (and i'm looking forward to not getting so nauseas every time i spend more than 5 minutes at the computer). people who depend on glasses always roll their 4 eyes at me when i get enthusiastic about glasses, but to me, it's a pretty ideal accessory, with a big emphasis on function, which is the only way i get past my accessory-aversion, if the doohicky can actually do something - i'm so grateful my watch tells the time. the foot doctor also happened to mention that i need to wear open-toe shoes this summer to assist with the recovery of the footsies. and that sent me off looking at new shoes, but i stopped myself. eyes trump feet, and i can work with what i've got in the footwear dept. for now.
it is interesting to me that the fact that eyewear is not mandatory for me (unless i want to read continuously without wanting to throw up, that is) makes it fun, while the requirement of it makes it a nuisance to others. and so presumably it will eventually be one for me as well... maybe.
we'll see if dependency on glasses takes the fun out of it for me, but for now, all i can see is that a prescription from the dr. says "go shopping!"

if you were medically-required to wear your favorite items (clothing, shoes, bags, accessories) that you currently enjoy, do you think it would shift your feelings from pleasure, to pain?

*disclaimer -
do not be misled by this diagnosis. i am young, do you hear me, young!

9 comments:

cybill said...

As a fellow wearer of glasses and owner of about 7 different frames I understand where you are coming from. As to your question, it would shift my feelings to pain. I hate being told what to do and that feeling of obligation to something would irk me.

Carlene said...

I wrote this on my blog:

"(about a year ago) I had to buy reading glasses. For some reason, I have wanted to wear reading glasses as long as I can remember. Fond memories of a grade school teacher perhaps. I've been so nearsighted all my life, I never thought I wouldn't be able to see close up, but there you go."

Anyway, I didn't sink too much $$ into that first pair because, unfortunately, my prescription will probably change. But oh, I will. I will.

"...but for now, all i can see is that a prescription from the dr. says "go shopping!" You crack me up. I thought the same thing.

http://www.giarre.com/glasses/prada-model-vpr13iv.php

(they have green!)

http://www.oliverpeoples.com/opt_tycoon_bk.html

(I've always loved Oliver Peoples, very 80s)

p.s. I know someone who got his reading glasses prescription in his mid-20s, so it has NOTHING to do with age.

Alexandreena said...

I love my glasses, that I need to wear at all times, else I'm completely blind. Every now and then, the surgery to correct my vision appeals to me, but then it simply does not seem worth it. My entire make-up routine was built around the frames and my face would feel naked without them...

Iheartfashion said...

I hate to be told what to do, so being given a prescription, say to wear ridiculously high heels, would take all the fun out of it.

greying pixie said...

A simple answer to your question from me is 'yes'. Funnily enough I don't count glasses as an extra as I've been wearing them from the age of 10. They are just part of me and certainly the first thing I reach for in the morning even before my robe! And no expense is spared with them either.

But my work bag is a constant source of sadness for me as I have to carry so much stuff (registers, files, lunch, 1 litre of water, thermos of coffee) with me on my commute to London three times a week that my back and shoulder will no longer take the weight of a chic Fendi holdall. Instead I have had to resort to a backpack at the age of 47. I've bought a well balanced, well designed smokey orange one, but it still doesn't inspire me. I feel like I'm walking like a monkey! But at least the backache has gone.

greying pixie said...

Having reread your question, another thought. I think I've mentioned in the past that my PhD research is concerned with creating fashionable clothing for disabled women. For example, I have been working with wheelchair users who have specific requirements regarding padding for sitting for long periods. My designs for skirts with removal padding and my coats with loose linings and tight cuffs have been very well received.

In summing up, I think when there is a medical need, fashionable design is a very important way to build self esteem and avoid the pain.

landis smithers said...

is cashmere medically necessary?

Duchesse said...

Landis Smithers: cashmere is a Life Support System.

Had to wear medically prescribed support hose for awhile. Visit to store to be fitted was devastating. Went out and bought many pieces of exquisite lingerie to counteract effect.

enc said...

Probably pain, for me. I don't like a forced march.