Negative impact

martin margiela's second US shop is a much-needed addition to little santa monica*. the tourists focus on the T - rodeo and wilshire, but littla santa monica is good enough for martin most likely because of that absence of popularity. though i predict that more will follow his lead. i especially love the exterior of the shop - the front and side of the building are covered in silver disks that move with the wind, creating a ripple effect, but the best part (to me) is that the shop name is designed in the negative space created from omitted disks. i love the use of negative space. (growing up in l.a., i think i found my own taste in what wasn't here.)

i packed light for our 2.5 week trip, thinking of it as a vacation to certain places and a vacation from certain things. i should not have tried to leave behind as much of my clothing as i did, however. the result was the inevitable desire to increase the selection i had limited myself to (1 skirt, 2 pairs of pants, 1 dress, 2 tops, 1 jacket). the selection had yielded endless possibilities, or more than enough for the time away, anyway, but the eye gets bored after a while. so i did a little shopping. but i was more influenced by an online image, which i would have likely stumbled upon while at home, than i was by my current and temporary location...or so i think. we will see how i feel about the new acquisitions when i return home later next week.

which provides more enlightenment about your taste/style:
a trip (or exposure) to a place that reinforces your known aesthetic,
or
a trip (or exposure) to a place that challenges or even contradicts what you are comfortable with?


*aka south santa monica boulevard (in beverly hills)

14 comments:

Alexandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexandreena said...

Probably the challenge. I've recently moved to a place with an aesthetic very different from mine, and I'm enjoying trying out new things, and incorporating things that previously left me hold, and horror-of-all-horrors experimenting with colour!

Carlene said...

Definitely the challenge, but not in the usual way. The last place I lived was so different than what I'm used to that I felt like a fictional character. The person locals whisper about. I liked being that person.

(Also, I'd love to see the online image, and also what you bought)

:)

Iheartfashion said...

I like a trip that challenges my aesthetic and inspires me to try something new.

indigo16 said...

I have a tendency to mimic both accents and the style of a culture. However I do not absorb it into my own wardrobe, rather I just see it as an opportunity to play dress up. Whilst this game is enjoyable it does not inluence the way I dress.
So for that, I like to visit places that do not just reinforce my aesthetic, but add a little, either by remixing what I have, or by adding a new accessory to lift what I have.
An example of the former is that on a trip to Hawaii I wore clothes that were so bright, colourful and flowery I felt great, but would feel silly wearing them in England.
Alternatively on a recent visit to Bordeaux I saw many women layering skirts, a habit which I still have today.

Sal said...

I'm a chicken. I like my aesthetic reinforced in person (as in, on a trip), though I like to push on it through media outlets (at home reading blogs, mags, etc.) Since I never feel as pulled-together as I'd like, the validation of seeing my look on others does my heart good. Especially if I'm in a fun, foreign locale.

-h of candid cool said...

A little bit of both, but mostly reinforces. When I went to new york it reinforced what I already like to wear: layers, dark colors, scarves, and leather jackets, that I don’t have the opportunity to do so comfortably living in south florida. But it did puzzle me that nobody was really wearing sunglasses. In FL shades are indoors, outdoors, for some people even at night!!

But also it made me realize that I need to invest in a “fierce/tough” black wedge. So that I don’t have to sacrifice height for comfort. Or the perfect black combat boot that’s not a Doc Martin and minus the 4 digit Ann D. price tag.

CoutureCarrie said...

Aaah, brills question: the latter for me as well.
Will have to make a pilgtimage to MMM soon!

Anairam said...

A challenging exposure definitely provides more enlightenment about my own style - either by reinforcing that I really do not like what the challenge offers me, or by providing me with little glimpses of what is possible by adapting the challenging offering into something that could work with my taste. In this way my style has slowly been evolving over the years, bit by bit ...

Duchesse said...

Definitely the challenge. I went to India and was fat and frizzy. Wild curly red hair, no hope. Everyone said, why didn't you buy a sari? For one I am not acclimated to 100+ degree heat and 120% humidity and the n I'd have the treat of 7 yards of fabric wrapped around me? And I loved them on Indian women of all sizes.

So the sarong and a linen tank was my daily choice, and with few style variations available, that forced me to consider fabrics and prints more thoughtfully.

One the way home had a 24 hour layover in Munich and everyone looked like me, a big person in neutral colours.

Dana (pron. like Donna) said...

the unexpected trip - and how one would handle it.
i am the most spoiled thing in the world and I backpacked with the best of 'em for 8 months in Latin American with not a pair of heels in sight.Weird- it didnt cure my addiction.

enc said...

I'd say: "a place that challenges or even contradicts what you are comfortable with." I'm always pushed farther when out of my own restrictive box.

It's interesting that you did a much smaller version of your "pieces" project for your trip. I like the idea of it.

Thanks for the photo of the MMM shop. I love those paillettes and negative space, too.

editor said...

enc - eureka! "paillettes" that word was eluding me when i posted. thank you!!!

landis smithers said...

i have always wanted to go here.

i am stupid for not having been yet.

oh,
and challenge my aesthetic.
it always needs refreshing.