Hit me

love when i have something that i like sooo much, i want more of it, but hate that i suspect some of that is a desire for insurance, like having a spare tire. thing is, with a spare tire, you know that until we're all using hover crafts, the tire will not become obsolete. so, essentially, there is zero risk in investing in a spare tire, but a lot of gain (general peace of mind and good odds that you'll need it some time). now, with clothing, one item you buy now may not appeal to you in a year - so buying 2 in no way guarantees anything, except that you have 2. i'm a romantic. when i buy, i assume that i'm in for the long haul. experience has shown me that this just isn't the case, or experience would show me this if i chose to reflect, but i don't. and so the temptation to doubly invest when i find something i like, and buy 2, is always there (when it's an option). and it's so weird when i do lose love for something. there is a shift, ever so subtle (since i could never pinpoint when it happens) and suddenly something is not quite right with the once-beloved-jacket-top-tee-skirt-dress. this doesn't always happen. to be sure, this isn't the norm, but i don't think i could truly predict which items will and which items will not succumb...to the shift.

is there anything in your closet right now that you would be willing to bet you will love exactly as much as you do right now, next year?

11 comments:

Songy said...

Yes. (with maximum confidence conjured up) scoop neck black tee from target. :)

Sara said...

Yes - there are a few items that I've thought long and hard about before I bought them. My dresses, mostly, and a few shirts. I still have a hard time with finding pants that I know I'll love for years.

It makes me happy to have said yes so quickly and with such confidence!

materfamilias said...

Yes, but they're not the items that get worn enough that they need to be duplicated for security. I have doubled up on jeans-buying in the past and ditto for classic white shirts or the perfect slim-leg black pants. And last year I was tempted by a brown suede slouch boot because it looks as if the sole is not replaceable/reparable -- but in the end, I decided if I was being a sucker for buying one pair of boots that couldn't stand up to much wear, buying two would be a "fool me twice, shame on me" situation.

enc said...

I have one skirt I know I'll love next year, and some shoes. The rest? I don't know.

I have things in my closet that I bought on a whim, thinking I'd wear them for a season then not again, and they're still hanging there, loved, and worn.

K.Line said...

Love the same way? I just don't know... But I do have some things in my closet I bought years ago and I do still appreciate them for their beauty and usefulness in my wardrobe. You can't have the same excitement with that sweater you've been snuggling for 10 years as with that new hottie in this season's colour. But it has stood the test of time, so you have to love it more deeply.

Sal said...

I am so filled to the brim with stodge and stubborn, that I can say yes, for sure. I have actually doubled up on some killer Fluevog platform sandals - got 'em in brown and black despite the hefty price tag - and am sure I'll be wearing them next year with the same fervor. Other things, too, but I'm not going to fess up for fear of being branded a weirdo.

-h of candid cool said...

o yes absolutely absolutely absolutely!
my dior blue jeans (i know i go on and on about them, but they're absolutely incredible), my 3 tuxedos, my jcrew "balenciaga" jacket, really over the top palm printed kaftan dress, and my black wax jeans... i could go on and on...

of course there are things in my wardrobe that are ehh okay for now, because i bought them more out of necessity. or the things that are showing wear and tear.

Brianna said...

Yes, but they're all simple things--a cashmere sweater with elbow-length gently puffed sleeves in the perfect shade of marine blue; a fitted black cotton-stretch lined blazer; dark bootcut DKNY jeans; black silk-cashmere blend semi-wrap cardigan; black cashmere v-neck sweater with a slight shawl collar; black heeled boots with buttons and ruching on the side; black-and-white tweed flared skirt with faux crinoline. These are the things in my wardrobe that were investments (for me--investments on my budget are probably cheap thrills for some!), and some of them I've had for a year or more already.

I only double up on things like tanks, t-shirts, headbands, etc., but always in different colours. I've been burned before, buying 2 of something that seemed perfect but turned out not to be after a few wears.

landis smithers said...

the margiela tube pants, forever.

the lanvin trainer, for at least the next two years.

the james perse button down.

the rick owens tissue tee.

sigh. now i want to shop.

Duchesse said...

Every matte jersey skirt (four) from an unknown designer (to most of the world), Belgian-born and trained Muriel Dombret of Clothes, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

T.A.E said...

My green wool coat. I always see these gorgeous new coats that come out every season but with one exception, I don't buy them because I love my green coat too much. :)