To have and to hold

despite a popular stance among some that fashion is a trivial pursuit, i understand, if not why, definitely how i love clothes. perfect clothes. they are like a language to me - for an inner dialog. when i find perfection, it fills a spot in my head. like a missing puzzle piece. it completes something in me because it embodies an idea(l) or thought. to find "words" for things that are in my head.... total satisfaction (there is only total satisfaction if i buy it, i should clarify). i feel the same way when i find wonderful, brilliant thoughts or ideas, communicated through language, but those i can own and experience merely by discovering them. i do not feel the same way about other things, like views/landscapes, or music, though i do know that these are powerful things to others.

i love everything i own and have the perfect thing to wear whenever i want to, for any and every day. but even with this level of practical contentment, i do stumble upon perfection occasionally, new perfection, and then i love it. and want it. it is not about a complete and useful wardrobe, it is about the pleasure of the perfection. unless i stop finding perfection, i will not stop my want. my want, however, no longer exists before the find. absolutely now i do not have have desire without a target first. i am not restless, maybe because i already have more than i need - but i know there is always more to want.

when do you feel greedy?

12 comments:

fashionaddict said...

Every time I see something I love and haven't worn in a while, while I'm putting in something new.

Actually, I feel greedy whenever I buy anything unnecessary, whether it's a book, an ice cream etc etc. Thrift is VERY prized in my family :)

Carlene said...

When I read a post like this. I want to feel like you do, I really do. Somehow, I translate my love of beauty into a need to own it. Why?

editor said...

carlene, you misunderstand. i have edited the post to clarify that i do want to and often do buy. this is, after all, a post about greed.

Iheartfashion said...

All. the. time.

K.Line said...

You've really encapsulated my feelings about owning new things. Sometimes, I almost want to buy and then leave it there (if this makes any sense). But I'm greedy about lots of things. Food particularly.

Sal said...

I feel greedy when I realize that if I never bought another item, I could live comfortably - even stylishly - for at least the next 10 years ... yet I am lured by the beauty of yet more beautiful things. When some people are lucky to own a single garment for five years at a time, I'm proud if some one thing of the dozens lasts me three. I feel greedy a lot.

Duchesse said...

Sine I am at the top of the dept. store size range, I am usually left out at chic boutiques where clothing sizes stop at 10, like Prada. If in my travels I find a shop with pieces of magnificent quality in my size I start oinking and snuffling, suffused with greed. Greed mingled with gratitude is as potent as love mingled with lust.

enc said...

I love this post.

I feel greedy when I see quality and perfection. I begin to try to rationalize purchases that I have no business making. I am lucky, though, because right now I'm riding a wave of abstinence.

Cashmere coats, leather boots and bags, things like this make me greedy beyond all reason.

-h of candid cool said...

its about balance. i know i cant keep adding more more more into the closet without giving somethings away.

ive got a stack of clothes, im waiting until fall to get rid of them in some way because they're heavier items.

also when i notice i keep buying the same things over and over, i stop myself.

and now i trying to only buy what i love which are those Perfection items. Those items that make me gasp the instant i put them on.

a. said...

i have, like enc, been going through an abstinence phase. it was partially a financial choice but partially a time-management choice - i finished my thesis this summer while also working full-time. (yay!) so this week i stepped into two of my favorite stores for the first time in about two months. and found myself not desiring anything. it was a very curious feeling!

the truth is, i still don't know how to explain it fully. normally i would be experiencing lots of greed. i think probably the best explanation is that nothing really was "perfection" as you use the term. because certainly, beauty and perfection always seduce me in the end.

a. said...

wait! make that four! four stores i haven't been in for two+ months... it almost makes one worry...

Alexandreena said...

Not very greedy anymore. I definitely used to be but I must have found a place where I feel I have enough. I can look at beautiful things now and not necessarily feel the need to own them. We'll see how long this lasts though...