One way or another

advertisers, my on-again, off-again nemesis. always hunting me. the other day, on a random website (reeeaaalllly random for bergdorf's to be on) that i've never been on before ... there was a banner ad for them. not only that, but it was specifically linked to handbags. it felt like BG was not targeting the audience for this site, they were targeting me.
normally i sit on the subway and rue getting stuck in a budweiser-sponsored car. nothing to look at for 10 stops except close-ups of perspiring beer bottles.
sometimes when i flip through a magazine and see some of the ads, i wonder, "do they even know who i am?" but perhaps what i ought to reevaluate is why i chose that magazine, since the signs are telling me we're not meant to be. when the ad doesn't fit, does that mean i'm out of my element?

do most of the ads you encounter address your interests/needs?

5 comments:

enc said...

No. This was most apparent to me within the September issue of "Elle," which I bought because I was afraid that if I didn't, I might miss something. Indeed, I would have missed something—the kids from High School Musical, in a tawdry editorial. The ads in the book were tawdry, too. I stopped reading "Elle" years ago, on the grounds that I was no longer in my element. The advertising, the articles, the clothes, all of it seems alien. Strange.

Carlene said...

No. Almost none of them do. I am not their demographic, obviously. And that's the way I like it.

Sal said...

Very few. The ones that do really stand out. And while some imagery and stylistic suggestions plant seeds of later exploration, weird and emotionally inaccessible ads just get mentally discarded.

Iheartfashion said...

Not usually, but I'll read anything fashion-related for potential inspiration, including Teen Vogue which is definitely not my demographic. I agree with enc, Elle's ads were tawdry, not to mention the cheesy Jessica Simpson cover.

Shay said...

very few ads work for me, but they work on the principal that if you see them enough, they infiltrate your mind and you are at least aware of what the brand is, which is a sort of success for an advertiser I suppose...